You’re about to embark on what will surely be the holiday of a lifetime. You don’t need us to tell you that you’ve made an excellent choice in selecting Bali as your holiday destination, nor do you need us to tell you how incredible your adventure will be (regardless of what you do once you set foot on the island). That said, we like to think we have some pretty stellar ideas about how to ensure your experience is the most awesome it could possibly be, so please, allow us to share a few of our top insider tips with you…
14 Things to do in Bali
1. Try the local cuisine – You will quickly discover that Bali is literally teeming with high-end, luxury dining hot spots, any number of which will please your palate beyond your wildest dreams. By all means, indulge! However, we also encourage you to venture beyond just the five-star resort eateries and try some of the locally owned and operated warungs. This is one of the easiest and most tasty ways to experience Balinese culture at a fraction of the cost.
2. Visit a national park – You’ll be surrounded by lush, wild natural beauty no matter where on the island you may roam, but nonetheless, the national parks take that magnificence to a whole new level. You will be able to get up close and personal with flora and fauna and be one with nature.
3. Go underwater – Whether you’re a professional scuba diver or feel that renting a snorkel for a few hours is more your speed, the waters surrounding Bali are filled with incredible aquatic life and coral reefs that should not be missed. And just think, the less familiar you are with scuba and snorkel equipment, the more adventurous it will be!
4. Pamper yourself – Bali is known for its world-renowned spas and healing arts centers. Take your pick and allow yourself to indulge in a massage, a facial, a mud bath, or all of the above. Nothing says luxury quite like a day at the spa!
5. Give back – Despite its luxury and charm, Bali suffers from a good deal of economic hardship still today. As such, many visitors find a great deal of personal satisfaction in bringing extra luggage full of gently used clothing, toiletries and books, to donate to charities on the island. Bonus: those empty suitcases are perfect for all the souvenirs you’re planning to buy!
6. Tour the island – As tempting as it is to while away your days lounging on the beach, there is so much of the island that simply can’t be properly experienced from a cabana chair. Rent a scooter for a day and truly get a lay of the land. We promise, your cabana will be there when you get back.
7. Take in the night life – Whether you paint the town red on a regular basis or tell yourself your days of dancing in the club until the wee hours of the morning are far behind you, Indonesian night life is an animal all of it’s own and is certainly worth foregoing a few hours of shut-eye to experience.
8. Visit a local medicine guru – As famous as Bali’s world-class spas tend to be, its healers and medicine people are equally well known in the healing arts world. Even if you don’t have a specific ailment to address, visiting a known healer is truly one of the best ways to guarantee an authentic Balinese experience.
9. Eliminate stress – there’s nothing worse than finding yourself feeling stressed by tiny details while you’re trying to relax on holiday. One of the best ways to avoid this can be arranged before you ever leave home; do your homework and prepare accordingly. Have cash and passports ready to show upon arrival at the visa desk; arrange for a personal driver ahead of time, to chauffeur you from the airport to your private villa, purchase travel insurance, notify your credit card company you will be traveling internationally and pack extra copies of all important documents such as passports and contact numbers, just in case.
10. Travel with your loved ones – Many of our villas are large enough to accommodate entire families, or several groups of couples, all at the same time. Instead of traveling alone, rent a four or five bedroom villa and bring your party animal friends to Bali with you.
11. Get married – what could possibly make the most special day of your life even more memorable? How about exchanging vows with the love of your life in a gorgeous, tropical paradise? Bali is quickly becoming one of the most popular destinations for couples who want to tie the knot and in fact, the island is a surprisingly affordable place to do it.
12. Set aside any preconceived notions – If you’ve never traveled to Indonesia before, it’s difficult not to start drawing premature conclusions about the area. We ask that you instead try to embark on this holiday with an open mind, and ready to experience whatever comes your way. Trust us when we say those who enjoy Bali the most are those who are willing to sit back and take it all in.
13. Don’t be afraid to ask – If there’s something you would like to see, do or try, but are having a difficult time finding information about it — speak up! The Balinese are a generous, accommodating people and enjoy doing whatever they can to ensure visitors to the island have a pleasant stay. Many private villas come with their own concierge who can also make arrangements on your behalf.
14. Experience something new – There are so many incredible opportunities on Bali to try things you might not otherwise ever have a chance to do. Be it a surfing lesson, a native food you’re unfamiliar with, visiting a medicine man or taking a yoga class on the beach, we’ve found that often the most thrilling and memorable parts of a holiday are those things that make it unique from your day to day life. So, set your hesitations aside and step outside the box of your comfort zone. We think you’ll be very glad you did!