The Maldives has long been known as the go-to destination for honeymoons and all-inclusive romance. Sure enough, there is something undeniably romantic about those intimate overwater villas, turquoise lagoons and deserted white sand beaches. In fact, the setting is so romantic that in 2011, celebrity power couple John Legend and Chrissy Teigen got engaged here!
But at some point, things began to change. Gone are the days when the Maldivian islands were just about the romance – in recent years, these paradise islands have grown into the ultimate destination for families.
When you think about it, this shift is natural – you could even say it was inevitable. The Maldives is one of those magical places which seem to have a magnetic pull to them: after you’ve visited once, you’re already counting down the days until your next visit. Couples who once honeymooned in the Maldives have now moved on to the next chapter in their lives and want their kids and extended families to experience this unique place, too.
That the Maldives is the ideal destination for families has not gone unnoticed by the glitterati. The Beckham clan has been to the Maldives on several occasions – in 2017, the family celebrated New Year’s with the Gordon Ramsay family at the Amilla Fushi resort. Later that same year, Liv Tyler shared adorable snaps of her brood living it up at the iconic Soneva Fushi villa resort.
When it comes to family travel, the Maldives offers the perfect blend of private villa living and easy breezy all-inclusive luxury which makes logistics a breeze. Each resort occupies its own private island and in such a controlled environment, there’s little chance of things spinning out of control. In other words, it’s the perfect setting for that long overdue family holiday where everything should be as close to perfect as humanly possible.
A growing number of the Maldivian resorts are purposefully built to cater to families and instead of one-bedroom bungalows, you’ll find epic mega mansions offering ultimate privacy – but don’t worry: you’re still just moments away from all-you-can-eat dining, complimentary kids clubs, fun water sports and other activities.
Maldives Villas Perfect for Families
No news, no shoes – this is the ethos which shapes life on the Soneva Fushi resort island. This relaxed state of mind is exactly what you want on an extended family getaway with all family members focusing on each other and on making memories rather than gazing at their smart phones. Located on the UNESCO protected Baa Atoll, the Soneva Fushi villas (ranging from intimate one-bedroom numbers to an epic nine-bedroom mega mansion) capture the barefoot luxury trend perfectly with thatched roofs shaded by palm trees and the turquoise ocean shimmering just a coconut’s throw away.
Why It’s Perfect for Families
- The Den – this out-of-this-world kids club comes with all the bells and whistles kiddos could ask for – and then some. Complimentary to all in-house guests, The Den features a pirate ship, two pools, a dedicated Lego room, cinema, dress up area and offers daily activities ranging from pool parties to eco-friendly paper making.
- Villas with water slides – need we say more? Soneva Fushi’s larger villas are perfect for extended family holidays and besides the private swimming pools, many of them feature fun water slides launching from the roof straight to the pool.
- Mr or Mrs Friday – Travelling with little terrors? Nor problem! All villas are serviced by a personal butler (a Mr or Mrs Friday in the Soneva vernacular) who will look after your every wish and whim.
- Chocolate room! Let your kids live out their wildest Charlie and the Chocolate Factory fantasies: guests at Soneva Fushi enjoy free access to the resort’s epic chocolate room.
- Endless dining options – Soneva Fushi’s fabulous restaurants and dining experiences, ranging from a treetop restaurant to private toes in the sand dining experiences will satisfy even the pickiest of eaters.
- Stargazing – The resort has its own private observatory, allowing for some unforgettable stargazing with the family.
Amilla Fushi (translates as “my island home”) is the perfect Maldivian destination for those travellers who prefer sleek modern design over laidback thatched roof bungalows. Made up of grand four, six and eight-bedroom villas, the Amilla Beach Villa Residences are all about white architecture, huge private pools and blissful beachfront access. Next to the villas, guests enjoy access to epic in-villa dining, fabulous restaurants and unforgettable excursions – snorkeling with mantas, anyone?
Why It’s Perfect for Families
- The Sultan’s Village Kids Club – The resort island’s kids club is a kids-only fun zone with a shallow wading pool, outdoor playground and a club house stocked with endless toys, games and books. Scheduled activities range from make your own pizza to island-wide treasure hunts.
- Complimentary child care, both at the kids club and in your private villa, allows parents to sneak out for a date night when needed.
- Amilla’s large family villas come with fully fitted kitchens which are perfect for fixing snacks and meals for little travelers. Bookings include an extensive Providore list, meaning the kitchen will be stocked with all the essentials.
- Surrounded by the crystal clear waters of the Indian Ocean, Amilla Fushi offers a picture perfect setting for family adventures. The resort’s Home of the Underwater Biossphere centre offers epic excursions on the high seas, including turtle safaris, dolphin watching and sandbank visits.
- Each villa is serviced by its own katheeb; a personal butler whose job is to make sure you don’t need to lift a finger during your stay. Less time spent worrying about the logistics means more time spent fully present with the family.
Jumeirah Vittaveli Royal Residence
Jumeirah Vittaveli Royal Residence is a private five-bedroom villa located on an island of one-bedroom villas and suites. Located on a private tip of the Jumeirah Vittaveli resort island, the villa offers a luxurious private island experience with a private jetty, private spa, private gym and even a private restaurant exclusive to in-villa guests. This is the ultimate setup for an unforgettable getaway with the extended family – and did we mention the Jumeirah Vittaveli resort island also houses seven dining outlets, a luxury spa, fabulous kids club… and the first ice rink in the Maldives!
Why It’s Perfect for Families
- Located at the tippy top of the Jumeirah Vittaveli resort island, the Royal Residence offers a luxuriously private setting exclusive to you and your group. This allows for merry making in the best possible company and the experience of your own tropical playground.
- Speaking of private – Jumeirah Vittaveli Royal Residence comes with its own private restaurant(!) allowing for relaxed family dinners away from the crowds. This kind of personalized service is also ideal if you’re travelling with picky eaters or those following a special diet.
- Kuda Koli Kids Club – If the kids start feeling antsy at your epic villa, help is close at hand. The resort’s Kuda Koli Kids Club features areas for younger kids and teens and also offers a full schedule of daily activities ranging from sand sculpting to coconut bowling.
- 24-hour butler service – Take the stress out of your holiday and let your personal butler take care of it – whatever “it” might be. You’re on holiday, after all!